Monday, December 31, 2007

Time Wasters & Germ Spreaders

Merry Christmas and Happy last day of 2007- it's 1:15am so it's officially December 31st! Drew is on a fire call right now and he has been gone quite a while. I'm always nervous when he runs out of here adrenaline pumping to a structure fire. I can't really fall asleep until he comes home or calls from the fire station to let me know all is well.



Sam is gone for a few days up north with his buddy Isaiah. He left Saturday and will be home Tuesday or Wednesday. That's the longest he has been gone from me and not with family. He called today and said he was having fun. As smart-mouthed as that little stinker can be with me sometimes- I miss him so much when he's not here.



Right now both my girls are quietly sleeping. This has been a fun Christmas Vacation but I have a newfound understanding of my Uncle Wade's definition of little kids- Time Wasters & Germ Spreaders. I always thought that was a pretty negative and overly simplistic way to portray these complex fascinating little characters that share my home. That was until I have been elbow deep in boogers and now vomit for days on end. This is the part of parenting where you earn your stripes and get your membership card. I wish I had stock in Kleenex...

Sam has my best example of both time wasting activity and germ spreading. I opened my phone the other day to find a picture of Sam that he had taken of himself post sneeze and prior to getting to the Kleenex...kids are gross.



The time wasting is actually the fun part of having kids- I consider that part the fringe benefit of parenting. Toy makers are genius- they know that people in our generation are nostalgia freaks so why mess with perfection. Just crank out the same old Cabbage Patch Kids, Strawberry Shortcakes, CareBears, Transformers and GI Joes that were cool in the 80's. Drew and I have spent hours playing with dolls, cars, puzzles, games, horses, play doh, dress up... you name it we've played it.



My personal new favorite are the infamous Webkinz. Addictive little suckers. I had no idea how much the parents could get pulled in. I've caught myself shoving my way in to earn some Kinz Cash so we can save up for a new backyard or that cool new couch. Am I serious?! Why am I lobbying for Faith to pick the name that I've picked for her newest pet?! Hours go by and I wonder what I've accomplished? Then I realize how quickly these days are passing us by and I convince myself that stopping to do dishes or dusting would be just this side of evil. They have now fully infected me with their germs and time wasting but I'm truly happier than I've ever been in my life.



I never knew how much my parents really DIDN'T know. They were making it up as they were going along too. Faith said to me tonight- "Mama, you're so smart and you know how to do pretty much everything, I wish I could be like that." Now I KNOW I'm really someone's mom. Because I remember being fascinated with the skill with which my mom colored, used scissors, cooked food, did her hair, drove a car and knew what to do when I was scared or sick. I'm honored and humbled that God chose us to be the parents of Sam, Faith & Gracie.



So here's to Time Wasters & Germ Spreaders! I look forward to all the fun of time wasting in 2008 and I pledge to do my best to stop the spread of germs (said in my most overdone superhero voice) armed with my disinfectant in one hand and a pumper full of Purell in the other. Happy New Year!

1 comment:

Maria W. said...

Good job on the setup! And I played color splash on Webkinz for about an hour the other day, I heart that game, and I won about 500 kinz cash.